A group of clinical trials on children includes pediatric trials and trials on children and adults (combined ages). According to the statistical data at ClinicalTrials.gov, the interventional clinical trials involving children does not exceed 20% of all interventional trials in the world. In Ukraine, the correspoding figures are 25% of open (not yet recruiting; active recruiting) and 15% of closed international interventional trials (active, not recruiting; suspended; terminated; completed) registered currently.
In CEE, the notable leader in the interventional clinical trials on children (Phase I-IV) remains Poland (744), followed by Russia (432), Hungary (398), Czech Republic (396). Ukraine with 226 trials ranks the 5th place among the countries of the region. By the number of clinical trials (Phase I) on children, more than half of the countries in CEE remain without sufficient experience and Ukraine with the registered Completed study (Ewing Family of Tumors, Rhabdomyosarcoma) is among them.
From the long list of the medical categories for the interventional clinical trials (Phase I-IV) on children in Ukraine, the 16 ones were selected for the chart as below. The first 4 from the 16 categories (Asthma; Genetic Diseases; Epilepsy; Psychotic Disorders) include 155 of 266 or 66% of all the trials. For the last 7 medical categories on the chart, Global/Ukraine data to compare the following: Neoplasms – 3281/5; Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIS) – 1216/4; Hepatitis – 369/4; Cerebral Palsy – 269/3; Eye Diseases – 971/1; Heart Diseases – 1021/1; Leukemia – 1362/1. Ukraine has a opportunity to increase dramatically n of interventional trials on children and in the oncological field particularly.
Public medical organizations
- Ukrainian Association of Pediatric Ophthalmologists
- All-Ukrainian public organization “Association of Pediatric Endocrinologists of Ukraine”
- Association of Pediatric Otolaryngologists of Ukraine
- All-Ukrainian public organization “All-Ukrainian Association of Children’s Psychiatrists”
- All-Ukrainian public organization “Ukrainian Association of Pediatric Immunology”
- All-Ukrainian public organization “Ukrainian Association of preventive and Pediatric Dentistry”
- All-Ukrainian Association of Pediatric Surgeons
- All-Ukrainian public organization “Ukrainian Association of doctors of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology”.